Wednesday, January 7, 2015

To Boldly Go Where No 15mm Miniature Has Gone Before

I've decided that 2015 is my year to get into 15mm sci-fi miniatures in a big way. So over the Holidays, I completed a project that had been languishing on my desk since early in 2014.  Astro Miniatures produces a line of 15mm minis called "Explorers." When painted appropriately, they can be used as Starfleet crew in Star Trek games set during the Original Series.


First up, we have  Commander Spock, Capt. Kirk and Dr. McCoy (or reasonable facsimiles thereof). Spock is a headswap, using a head from Astro's pointy ears sprue.


The Explorers pack includes 15 figures, in 13 poses:



Security and Support staff:


There's nothing special about the Andorian figure, it's just a human figure painted with blue skin and white hair.  I considered adding antennae, but figured it wasn't worth the hassle at this scale.

Command officers:


And finally, Science officers:


These guys were great fun to paint, and a pleasant change of pace from my usual 28mm. Next up, the Klingons!

2 comments:

  1. They are nice figures that paint up very nicely, and you've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know this line existed. I have a friend who is wanting to run a classic Star Trek rpg with the FASA rules. He was looking for some minis, and these may fit the bill.

    Thanks for the post,
    David S.
    Minnesota, USA

    ReplyDelete