Thursday, May 5, 2016

Painting the Zero

Continuing with the Aifix A6M2, I masked and painted the remaining control surfaces Tamiya Flat White:



For the overall gray color, I used a custom mix of Tamiya paints (15 parts Flat White + 1 part Khaki + 1 part RLM Gray). These were thinned with Gunze Mr. Color Thinner. I don't have an exact ration, but it's probably in the area of 75% - 80% thinner, so that the coats go on translucently. 





The result is a nice variation in color, without looking too worn. The color gradients are more visible to the naked eye than to the camera, I'm afraid.

From here, I coated the model overall with Micro Gloss to prep for decals. After drying overnight, I started applying the decals. I went with an aircraft from the carrier Kaga. Decals are from the Aeromaster sheet "Tora, Tora, Tora Part I." I'm finding that I'm getting some wrinkling of the tail and fin stripes, even after applying Microsol. So that's a bit frustrating.


I'm letting what I've done so far dry, and I'll return to it in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment